As I lay awake last night doing my best to fall asleep without succumbing to vices of sleep aids or drink, i gazed across the shelving that holds a portion of my DVD collection. I’ve been in the process of getting rid of the ones I won’t watch again. The ones that remain must fit a certain set of parameters;
1. Part of a complete collection i.e. Criterion
2. An actual collector’s edition collector’s edition. i.e. The Animal House ‘House’, The Brat Pack binder, Steel Books
3. A film that I have seen a hundred times and will watch a hundred more
4. A film that evokes strong memories and emotions that I don’t want to let go of
5. An out of print DVD
6. The works of directors I hope to follow behind in my professional career i.e. The Coen Brothers, Hayao Miyazaki, Danny Boyle and Wes Anderson
Point 6 struck a chord with me and so for the next week I am going to do a review of each Wes Anderson film in no specific order. If I don’t become side tracked, tonight will start with Rushmore. By the end of this next week i’ll wrap up with doing a pre-review of Anderson’s upcoming Moonrise Kingdom.
Stay tuned, keep reading, we’ve got a lot of ground to cover over the next few days.